Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day 5 - It all goes to the Dogs


Five days in Italy and already I am missing friends and family, but know that this is a great thing. Only Day 2 in the kitchen, also the first week of Umbria Jazz Festival. We were a bit busier today at lunch, pretty much the same at dinner. For you wonderful folks not in the service realm, this will hold no bearing for you, but just keep reading, it will get better. After a later start, 10 am, and two cappuccinos, prep started with lots of veggies being chopped, garlic pealed, and meat grinded. That’s right friends, cafe/coffee is almost like water here, no tea, just coffee. So much to my chagrin, I oblige and take a few sips before gulping water to get the funky taste out of my face, ha!


Dish Pit Day 2!!! We met our sous chef today, Carlo. A very nice older gentleman who will not allow me to pick up heavy items, let alone anything else. So it will be interesting to see how it goes in a few weeks when we change roles. i built 40 a-la-carte tiramisu’s today, after the first 2 they just cranked out pretty easy, mind you, there was more coffee offered at this point. On our afternoon siesta break, all of us, my two intern/roommates and I were all online. So happy I was able to talk to my mom, sister, MOE, and leave messages for a few more. Even just hearing VM voice was a nice take-away for the day.


The highlight of the night - a couple came into the restaurant with their dog, yes, that’s right, with their dog! (Chef Kennedy, don’t freak out, they were the table next to the door, but still) This couple, ordered the most expensive dish on the menu, the steak, for their dog!!! So funny! It was the laugh of the night for the entire staff, chef even wrote the dogs name on a tray to serve the meal on. Ridiculous!!! Pretty sure the dang dog ate better and more than I did today.


A little afterwork buddy time with my roomies, and egg in a hole, and scotch: Jealous?


Make sure to treat your dogs right this week!!!

Peace & Love,

Nikita

3 comments:

  1. Not surprised! Dogs need steak too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, eggs and liquor! Nothing's changed except no Moe. Also, I'm glad you got to grind some meat. Guess who got the sausage attachment for her kitchenaid! This guy! Not going to be the same without you there to giggle with me about the funny noises. Love you! Sorry I am commenting on every post. :/

    ReplyDelete