Friday, December 31, 2010

Day 6 - Pork This

Another long, long day. The Umbria Jazz Fest is in full swing, so we were a bit busier today. Most of the day and night was spent prepping for parties and New Years. We made a very interesting item today: Pork loin, stuffed with prunes, gemoltia, and spices. Then Wrapped in cabbage, then in caul fat, then encased in sausage netting to keep it all together. Not sure how these will turn out, but making all 100 of them, by the end, I couldn’t imagine they would be delicious.


While I was prepping some potato flans today, the servers and Chef and Carlo were all speaking Italian. They kept looking at me, and then asked about my Skull & Crossbones tattoo. The gents told me that it is very aggressive this tattoo of mine. Apparently that is a good thing; aggressive. It was pretty funny, you can usually tell when they are talking about you because they will glance in your direction multiple times throughout the discussion. I need to learn Italian, Stat.


I think what I will start doing is adding a little language lesson at the end of each blog entry, this way it will make me learn, retain and share the language. Not just for my benefit, but for all of yours too!!!


Language Lesson 1

When answering the phone, say ‘Pronto’ this translates to Ready.

Pronto = Ready


Buena Sera = Good Evening or Good Afternoon


Bella, Bello = Beautiful

3 comments:

  1. Ooh I like the language lesson! Fun fun. I love that you hate prunes and had to prep so much prune stuffed pork. Also, you? AGGRESSIVE?!!? Never. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be wary of the Italian man. They are a very persuasive breed; whether good or bad.

    Love the lesson!

    ReplyDelete