Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 41 - Assisi - Part 1 - Large Church, Large Appetite











My day off and I was off to Assisi, early, on the 8:04 train. A total of 2:20 including a stop to change trains. I slept for most of it, except when the dang train people kept waking me up to see my ticket. Silly. Once in Assisi, I took the bus, line c, all the way to the top part of the city. It was literally all down hill from here, in a good and steep way.


Assisi is known for its famous son, St. Francis of Assisi and for the lesser known, St. Clara of Assisi. Each Saint having their own church dedicated to them and a set of monks and nuns devoted to them. The churches are beautiful here, the streets are medieval, and the crafts were wonderful. I hit up the Sr. Rufino Church first. I ‘Lit’ a candle for Papa Olst, of course, and I took some photos. The Mother Mary was stunning here, and not another soul in the place, rather peaceful.


Then I worked my way down to the Basilica of St. Francis, which has both and upper and lower church. This place was very large and beautiful, but there are only pics from the outside, as photos were not allowed inside. However, I will try to convey to you how beautiful and lovely the experience was. Inside the lower church of St. Francis, there were 3 alters, a confessional area, a lower area with artifacts from St. Francis, frescos abound, multiple candle areas and stunning statues. And, as you guessed I ‘lit’ yet another candle for T.Olst. I keep saying ‘lit’ because in every church I went to in Assisi, no real flame. All electronic flames. Pretty interesting actually.


The most stunning part of the church was the lower tomb area where St. Francis was laid to rest, along with 4 other friars that were in his inner circle. It was very quiet and peaceful and the silence was truly golden. It turns out that every half hour starting at 12:30, a 15 minute service is held in the tomb area. Surrounded by nuns, monks, and a few other patrons, the service began, in all Italian. It was beautiful, the responses given in unison. I even had the prayer book and was able to sing the one song. They must take voice lessons, because the Monks sounded unreal and like songbirds with their voices reverberating against the stone walls. It was very moving.


From here, I went all the way up to the top to the Upper Church. Yet another large alter and statues and frescos. The enormity was breathtaking. I spent some time in the gift shop, a truly great find. I purchased some soap and tea and chocolate all made by the Monks and the Nuns, very cool and tasty. I also purchased a few gifts; Brother, Mom, Kalyn. I headed out under the sunny, windy sky to find a place to dine.


Pizza was on the docket, one with porcinin mushrooms, mozzarella, tomato, pancetta, and truffle. I wish you could have smelled the richness that came with this pizza. Mouthwatering and so flavorful, and at $13 euro for the pizza, fries, and water, not a bad price. I also had a pretty lovely Umbrian wine, I need to do some hunting in Orvieto to find it again.


Off to see more sights and shop a dop.


Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment