Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 41 - Part 2 - Shops and Secret Shots












After lunch, I wandered through the narrow streets of Assisi. It is amazing the craftsmanship that went into these walls and buildings still standing today. St. Francis passed in 1226, the artifacts, houses, and olive groves still mark the place in a time that is almost unrecognizable to us. I popped into an olive wood shop. Presents Abound! Kim, Melaine, Colls, Karen, Mark, and me! Fuel friends, I even found a gnocchi paddle, which I can not wait to try, if you need another one in house, just let a gal know, I like buying presents. :) I also found this great stationary shop. I purchased a letter stamp that ‘embosses’ wax onto documents and envelopes. Pretty neat find. Who wants a letter? I want to use my new toy.


From here, I headed to both the Chiasa Nuova and the St. Chiasa church. Both dedicated to St. Clara. I took illegal photos of the candle in one, oopps. Both were ominous and silent. However, the Chiasa Nuova was my favorite. The alters and the frescos were very moving. It was wonderful. And yes, in both places, I ‘lit’ candles too. I need to bring more offerete next time, I ran out of coins. In the St. Chiasa Church, St. Clara’s tomb was below as well with artifacts and frescos depicting her life as she left her family and started the Poor Sisters of Christ.


After some breathtaking views, I headed to San Damiano. This is the olive grove where St. Francis of Assisi first heard the voice of God. It is also where he wrote his ‘Ode to Creatures’. As the sun was setting on this place, there was a definite feeling abound. Not erie or spooky, just an understated knowing that something life altering had happened there so long ago. It was beautiful and I wished to stay longer, but needed to head back to catch my train.


When you come to visit Italy, make time, even if just half a day, for Assisi. It is 20 minutes west of Perugia, so you could potentially get two places in in one day. Photos of my wares and the beauty above.


All of these sacred places and churches and history, whether or not you are a practicing religion, have a way of creeping into your being, making you scope out your inner self and do some soul thinking. This may sound cliche, but it is true. If you have lost a loved one recently or in the past, celebrate them today and the next day in anyway you can. Life is too short to not keep with us the ones we have lost. Light a candle in their honor, even if at your own house. Or in Assisis’s case, just turn the light on and think of the loved one.


Enough ranting.

Ciao!


And yes, that is a slingshot in the photo. I bought if for my intern friends so they could target practice on the pigeons in our courtyard and the restaurant. They are going to love it!

1 comment:

  1. Checking in and living vicariously! Sounds wonderful from snowy Austin! Kate

    ReplyDelete