Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 47 - Bologna Day 2 - Shop Attack

















So after waking up late and lazy, I mustered my way out of the hotel room and onto the number 19 bus to go to the center of town. I was determined to scope out the University, climb the Donkey Tower, and buy boots. Walking Bologna felt very similar to Chicago; bustling, lots of people, great shops and food. It felt nice to walk around in the sunshine and be in quiet pensive thought. It made me think about getting a job, blah, anyway, less serious more fun!


The University was pretty sprawling, upper east corner of the city. Then, it was time to tackle the 498 step donkey tower, with a 1.3 meter lean. Up I went, halfway and the view was already beautiful. Finally to the top, heart beating, felt like being back in Denver high altitude again with the breath shortness. It was a lovely, lovely view once up there and totally worth the stairs. After taking the narrow stairs back down, it was time to hit up a few shops, then look at some churches, then traditional Bolognese.


New Boots!!! I found a pair of flat, kneehigh, gray/green boots on sale! Then at Le Sabot, I found a pair of purple suedesque loafers. Perfect for $20 Euro. After finding a few more clothing buys on sale, it was off to a meal. I found it at the Hotel Roma Ristorante. A meet plate with Mortadella and some other tasty snacks. Then traditional Bolognese with Tagliatelle pasta. I finished with some fried dough bots of powdered sugar. It was rather tasty. I finished the evening by popping into a few lovely churches and lighting candles at each one.


Shocking enough, I did not sleep that evening, but was trying to make sure that I did not miss my 5:15 am train back to Orvieto. After a brief nap and a quick taxi ride, the train station awaited. I slept all the way to Orvieto, almost missing my stop, but made it home safely. It was a pleasant trip and a brief vacation that was much deserved.

MIssing you all!

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment