Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 63 - Milan & Fashion Week



















The night train was pretty easy, for being a 6 hour train ride. Once I took the short tripp to Orte, I caught the Espresso line 19 to Milan. Once boarded, the super attractive and cute conductor lead me to my sleeper cabin. Unfortunately, the assigned cabin was a bit sketchy, two super-sketch guys who smelled really, really, really bad. I climbed up to the top bunk, held on to my belongings tightly and finished reading about the shopping in Milan. 10 Minutes later, the cute conductor came back in and asked me if I wanted to switch cabins, a resounding SI came from my mouth. A few doors down, an empty sleeper cabin awaited. It was a very peaceful ride to Milan. Waking at 4am to see where we were stopped for a few moments, and then back to bedish. Just before Milan, the cute, Antonie Conductor, popped in to make sure I was awake and ready for my trip to Milano. MMMMM, he was a real cute one.


Off the train at 7 am, and the station was bustling. There is a mall attached to the station, and I found the place to store my backpack while in Milan. From here, it was off to the Metro to catch the yellow line to the Durmo. Up the stairs of the metro. and onto the Piazza Durmo. It was strikingly beautiful and quiet and empty. The square just had a few folks there. The fashion tent was set up and a buzz, even early in the morning. It was chilly, but the sun was still abound, so off to the Durmo in my high heels I went. It is a beautiful church inside. Very Rococco feeling and grandios. Ornate and beautiful, there were quick 10 minute prayer sessions with the priests and monks chanting, quite calming. After lighting a candle for Papa Olst and resting in a pew for a bit, it was off to explore some of the local shops and then climb the tower. The tower was 169 steps to the top. In high heel boots, it was still a pretty easy trip up. Once on top, the views were breathtaking!!! Literally, you can walk around half the side of the roof. Another 30 steps up to the top of the roof. And you can stand right on top of the building. Views all the way to Switzerland on a clear day. Gorgeous!!!


It was just about time for the first fashion show of Milan fashion week in the Durmo tent to begin. The RococcoBarocco show was about to begin, and I was trying my darndest to get in. After as much waiting as possible, I was able to get in for the last few looks of the event and then out to the Durmo I went. It was amazing to see a show of this nature live and in person. The models and designer all tromped out onto the Piazza floor afterwards and the pictures attached are from that. So amazing!!! It was off to the Gucci show, to see if I could finagle my way in.


The security seemed less at the Gucci event, but me getting in was not happening without an invite. So I settled for people watching at all the beautiful tall and well dressed folks heading into the event. The vibe during fashion week was electric, I want to come back, one day is just not going to be enough. Back on the metro to the Durmo, and headed into the Galleria, apparently the first mall in Italy! Set up there was a L’Oreal hair and makeup booth, and a stage where designers were showcasing for the public, sans invite. I stayed and watched the Franco Shapiro show. Lots of bold colors and paisleys, so gorgeous. From here, I walked and walked and walked. I did a bit of shopping and window shopping. A new sweater at H&M to keep me warm and a pair of ballet flats and leg warmers from the gap to help my feet feel better, 10 hours of traipsing around Milan in high heels was not the brightest idea I have ever had, ha!


The Dolce & Gabbana store was doing a pre-show event where they had 6 fashion bloggers come in and dress a window with live models. It was a very cool event to watch from the outside, as the models sat in the windows and acted about. More window shopping and it was time to grab some food. I had passed by this pastry shop a few times and had resisted its temptation, but I could no longer ignore the Brioche with Ricotta filling, in I went for that and a warm cappuccino, very tasty! Then off to find a little place for dinner, just something easy and not too overwhelming. Well, La Riscante, which is a major Italian department store is situated right next to the Durmo, and on the 7th floor, they have a number of restaurants that overlook the church. I walked all about, bought some chocolates, and then decided upon BE Steak. Mainly because I could get a decent mix of Italian and ‘American’ food. I started with Beef Carpaccio topped with arugula, olives, tomatoes, and fresh pecarino. How delish! They had 3 types of fancy mustard available too, so I tried them, and the extra strong one paired really well with the beef. Then a club sandwich with an egg and fries on the side. I know, the server looked at me funny too when I ordered a double entree, but I was really hungry :) Both items were filling and very good. The ‘cafe’ area also had a sushi restaurant, a panini place, and two sit down Italian fusion places. And some specialty groceries too. As it was pushing 8 pm, and my train was not set until 11, I decided to see a movie. A warm, dark place to get a little rest and warmth in. Considering I had walked all around the city, I was ready for a little rest. Gullivers travels with Jack Black was fine to see in Italian, mainly because it was a cheesy movie to begin with so in Italian, it was not too bad.


Off to the train, and my 2 stops. Not a good trip home. All the trains were really cold and I had to make two train changes, but I was home and in bed by 7am just in time to get a 2 hour nap in before work.


Milan has been my 2nd most favorite place to be in Italy of all the places that I have visited. Everyone should get here at some point!


No comments:

Post a Comment