Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 50 - Prep this!


Wow, yet another slow day. It is not always bad to have a bit of time to reflect and have quiet time, but in the restaurant industry, this does not usually mean good times abound. We finished prepping for a party scheduled for Friday afternoon. I made pasta! I made 2 batches of umbrichello. This lis much like a thicker version of spaghetti. I was no my game today, I don’t say that very often, but I busted my but in prep and cooking today and it felt good to have Carlo recognize this.


Dinner was slow as well, I finished this amazing book earlier in the week, thank you Melaine for the gift! The book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (The Poisonwood Bible) was amazing! The fiction writer took a stab at writing a non-fiction retelling of a year in her and her families life on the farm. The jist: They moved from Arizona to their family farm in Virginia and began a year of eating local if not grown right on their farm. It was a really great book with lots of information on our food sources and how to find alternate options to the mass produced and out of season items we eat on a regular basis.


I really hold this thought of Farm to Table near and dear to my heart, it struck a cord over the last 2 years and is something that I am really interested in doing. If I could only get Colleen to teach me patience in growing so no more cacti have to lose their lives. This book is a really fun and easy read filled with tasty recipes and sheds light on how you too can become a localvore.


I am almost finished with my Bacon: A Love Story book too. Thank you Lindsay for this little treat, I can’t wait to start curing my own bacon and meats! This little book is all about bacon, duh title, but it is pretty fun to read. On slow nights, I am able to get a few chapters in, so the next book is by my favorite farmer, can’t wait!


Happy Reading!


Nikki’s Italian Reading LIst


Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - Barbara Kingsolver


Bacon: A Love Story


Everything I want to do is Illegal; War Stories from the Local Food Front - Joel Salatin


No comments:

Post a Comment