Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 79 - L’Hamburger


Friday, Friday, Friday!!! What a wonderful day to have sunshine and some customers. We had done some prep during the day for a la carte. We worked on making some fresh pasta and we made more general pork ragu. We also had a few customers for lunch, but nothing major. With being the only one on hotline for this week and until I am finished with my internship, I am feeling very comfortable there. I have my timing down, my pasta cooking on target, and my plating is set. I feel very comfortable and tend not to let my abilities slack.


I think that much of this credit for comfort goes to a few main souces; My mom, dad and family for constantly challenging me to be better. My chefs and teachers (Chef Donna Kennedy, Chef Hayashi, Chef Bennett, Chef Beckwith) for pushing me to work faster and efficently. And to the team at Fuel for letting me get my feet wet and to practice consistency and quality. Thank you to you all for your constant support and challenging. I find that being on the hotline is fun and can be a good time management exercise. Why do we chefs love being under pressure so much? Any thoughts? Pressure and expectations go hand in hand and it is fun to achieve under such an environment.


After a short and sweet siesta, it was time to go back to work. Carlo had to teach the pizza class, and he was exhausted afterwards. So by the grace of pre-planning, we had planned on real beef hamburgers for dinner. Accompanied by patate fritte, Italy’s version of Kraft singles, and some ranch, we enjoyed a very ‘American’ style family meal. We interns find it comforting to have such food selections once and a while, and as it turns out, so do our Italian counterparts. They enjoy the hamburgers and chicken fingers just as much as we do. Granted, it does not happen very often, so it may be a treat for all of us, but we are probably the only restaurant in Orvieto to have hamburgers of family meal. This is due to the American interns and their influence on the restaurant over the years. Carlo and Vitopaolo are also making sure that we have a ‘Mexican’ family meal before Chef comes back as well. We are all very excited for this as well!


Our only customers of the evening were 5 students from the University of Arizona contingent. Guess what we sold them??? Straight up hamburgers and french fries for $10 Euro. These were 1/3 pound tasty burgers, the same we had. They loved it!!! It was a fun eveving over all.


After work we changed and got a bit dressed up and met up with the KSU kids for some fun. We went to BeerHouse for a while after hanging at their house. Most of us turned in a little early, as we had to be at work by 9am for the tour group. I was very excited because I would be the one accompanying Carlo on the market visit and the demo. I will let you all know how it goes.


il buono hamburger al formaggio a tutto!!! (Good Cheeseburger to all of you!)


Language Lesson


Borsa - Bag

Money - Denaro (even though my folks use some other term)

Travel - Viaggio

Chef - Cuoco

2 comments:

  1. Awesome that your experience has been so beneficial! Thank you for the nod, but remember, we can only teach those who are willing to learn!!! As for the pressure, it definately takes a special breed! I LOVE working on the line and the dance that happens with other linecooks! At the end of the night, a job well executed is one of my greatest joys! It has been great reading your blog! Your eloquent writing took me right to your kitchen everytime! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chef Kennedy!
    I think that you would be able whoop some of these folks into shape over here. Who sits on cooking surface...Interns, thats who. Annoying and in my book unsanitary.
    When I am back in Denver this summer, Moe and I are coming in for a reunion meal!!! I can hardly wait! Sounds like restaurant week went well too congrats!

    ReplyDelete