Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 94 - Pack, Pack, Train, Train







As I type at this very moment, Melaine and I are sharing a 6 bunk compartment with two older ladies, on our way down to Catania in Sicily. The 10 hour trip will be perfect for sleep and for me to write up this blog.


This morning brought me a cold shower that led to a hot bath then lots of packing. I finished packing and getting ready for the day by 12:45 this afternoon. I ran out quick to the bank and said a final ciao to the Zeppelin crew, then it was time to schlep my shit to the train. I am a bona-fide pack mule. I have enclosed a picture of all of my stuff, which there is way too much of anyway. Down the cobblestone hill, into the finiculare, across the street, and onto the train to Rome, schlepping all of this stuff. I was on my way to meet Melaine at the Rome airport.


I stored all my luggage at the luggage check at the train station and head off to the airport. I was a little worried that where I was standing was not the right place, since it was 45 minutes past her flight landing. But then, there she was, Melaine in the flesh! It was funny, even though I knew she was coming, and know what she looks like, the initial moment I saw her, I could hardly believe it. After a big hug followed by another hug, we took our first picture together. We sat down for a coffee and just started off catching up. What a whirlwind of a day and it was only half over. My emotions are on overdrive already, and so having her here is a blessing in disguise to keep me sane.


After chatting for over an hour, we headed back to the Rome train station for a meal and then to catch our night train to Catania. We found a cute buffet with decent food in the Termini train station. We boarded our train 20 minutes early, which was good to help us get organized. The 6 compartments are a tight squeeze, but we are making due.


All the ladies are currently sleeping, I have 41% battery left on my computer, we have just stopped to pick up more people, and we still have 8 hours ahead of us. I know Melaine will sleep like a baby, as she did not sleep on the plane over. I am reeling with all kinds of emotion as it is a bittersweet departure from Zeppelin and I have some amazing travel ahead of me. I am trying to sum up Italy so far and convey to you dear reader the feeling I am feeling now. Alas, I need a bit more time to put my thoughts down, so bear with me and the mushy stuff will come soon, promise.


The whistle is blowing, the fans have turned back on, and the train is gently pulling away from this nameless station. The hum of the train, the lull of the tracks, and the silence abound is pulling me nearer and nearer to sleepdom. Dormita Tutti...

No comments:

Post a Comment