Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 83 - Internet as a Luxury


As I am writing the entry, the power has just gone out. The only light in our whole house is from my computer screen, which is tucked in with me under my covers. It was a beautifully humid day today, only a little rain this afternoon. We had a bit of prep for the week to do, but our main focus was on Mexican night and cleaning. Since Chef comes back next week, we need to have the kitchen cleaned and re-organized. This will also be beneficial for the AI students who are coming over in 2 weeks too. After making chocolate mousse for a la carte, I jumped on making the cupcakes for the evenings festivities. Franchesco cut the chicken and marinated it for tonights family meal. I did the mise en place for guac, made the taco seasoning for the ground meat, sliced the peppers and onions for sautéing, and even made a homemade sour cream. Correct, you can not find sour cream in Italy. Yes, you can make it yourself. No, it does not taste exactly like the original product, but it will do for our purpose.


We had quite a few people a la carte, which was great since I am working the line solo. We finished the afternoon, and I was not feeling in tip top shape, so I immediately headed home with Angela for siesta. On the way home, we went a different route, closer to the Duomo and a funny thing happened later in the evening, which I will relate later. I napped for as long as possible on siesta before having to head to the store and then the Zeppelin to prep for family meal. During siesta, our 6th roommate finally arrived, Alex, a recent grad from AI Charlotte. Restless siesta sleep, makes for a teeny weenie cranky Nikki. But, alas, family meal calls.


Frankie, Alex, and I headed to the restaurant with a quick stop at the market to buy last minute items. Once at the restaurant, we started guac, frosting, and cooking for the big dinner. I used pre-made carmel that would normally go in the bottom of a flan, to flavor the frosting, it was pretty tasty. We were expecting 10 for family meal, all 6 kitchen folks, plus 3 front of house folks, and Bonnie, Vito’s amazing Fiance. She is originally from Arizona, so having Mexi night was a treat. All the interns piched in and we were ready to eat by 6:30, a long table in the prep kitchen was set, and all 10 people smiling ear to ear. It was “please pass the guac” and “Who wants pollo?” It was way fun and I think everyone really enjoyed the meal, I know I did.


After dinner, we had a few customers come in and we furthered our cleaning efforts. Ironically, when Angela and I walked home at siesta, we had passed an American couple, all though we did speak to them, they ended up eating at the Zeppelin that evening. At the end of the evening, the gentleman came to the back of the house and thanked us all for such an amazing meal. He was so gracious and could hardly believe it that he had wandered into the same restaurant where we worked. He said that he wanted to ask us where to eat when we walked by, but didn’t. I guess it was meant to be. It is always nice to hear that the customers like your food. He was so gracious and interested in our desire to cook and such. It was a great interaction. After work, which wrapped up just after 9:30, I headed home. I was eager to check out Drew and Angela’s pictures from Milan.


I consider it a great luxury to have Internet at our house here in Italy. No, it is not a new fandagled thing here in Orvieto, but it is a cost that Chef does not necessarily need to provide. I am very grateful that he does though. Considering that in the last apartment. it took a month to get internet, it is unreal that we had it just a week after moving in to our new place. This is something that the 3 new interns do not quite understand. The internet here has a mind of it’s own and will restart at random. I think I heard from each of them about it. “What is wrong with the internet?” “How come we don’t have a connection?” “We just have shitty internet (from an overheard convo)” Seriously??? I almost lost it! I like the internet as much as any of them, but I understand not to take if for granted. I also use my brain before opening my mouth, at least most of the time, mainly because I want to project a smart and aware self. Honestly, is that so much to ask 20 year olds to do? I know I shouldn’t stereotype Moe, but honestly, I may be older than them by a decade, but I am not your mom. Use your brain people!!! Please!!! It was put in your head for a reason, hahahaha!!!!


Ok, off of my ranting post for now. The Milano pictures were lovely from the kids. They were able to hit up Lake Como too, which looked unreal. A small thunderstorm began just before I jumped in the shower. However, it has escalated, as you can now tell from my opening sentence. The day has come and gone and you my reader have come full circle, just like in one of those movies that starts and ends with the same scene.


Computer screen light with the sound of the rain and crack of the thunder outside of my open balcony door. Sleep Tight Readers!!!


Chocolate Mousse Recipe - Yields 28 small portions


10 eggs, separated

500 grams sugar

1 liter of cream

100 grams cocoa powder

200 grams bittersweet chocolate, melted

2 pinches of salt


Place the yolks and all the sugar in a mixer and whip until combined and at a nice smooth ribbon texture. Remove and place in a large bowl.


Place the cream in the clean and dry mixer bowl. Whip on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into the yolk mixture.


Place the whites and salt in the clean and dry mixer bowl. Whip on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into the yolk/cream mixture.


Once combined, add the chocolate and powder. Fold until well combined, making sure not to beat or stir, but to fold it all together to avoid breaking down the mixture.


Fill a pastry bag with tip and proceed to fill designated serving cups. Freeze or refrigerate until desired use.


No comments:

Post a Comment