Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 93 - Last Day of the Zeppelin Internship!!!







With this mornings sunrise, it starts my final day as an intern at the Zeppelin. Yes I survived, mostly unscathed. A few minor burns, a cut or two, hopefully more patience, better teaching skills, culinary awareness, and a new repertoire of recipes. I have gained some wonderful new friends as well. I know that I will always have a place to return in Italy. The people here are truly a delight. But more on this sappy stuff later, lets get to the days work.


Lunch service we worked on more items for the 2 parties this weekend. It was funny because every time Carlo would say ‘We need to do this for Sunday‘ he would look at me with a sad face, and say ‘not you, but everyone else will need to do this’. We had a pretty easy day, nothing major, a few customers and easy prep. Then only three of us for dinner service, which would be just fine.


On siesta, I booked some more travel items and talked with Melaine. It was 10 am her time, she would be leaving at 6 pm the same day. It was wild to think that in 24 hours she would be right there here with me. What an amazing treat to get to travel with such a wonderful friend around such a lovely country. I am blessed for sure. You are correct, you did not see me pack a lick over break, oh well, domani.


My final family meal, and I felt so special, Carlo pulled steaks and the nicest bottle of red wine. It would be night to remember. My favorite Italians sharing such a special meal. Prior to opening, I offered to make the after dinner espressos. Chef walked in with some groceries, and then a surprise for me. A chocolate easter egg, toy included, that weighed 3 kilos. Yes, that is 6.6 lbs of chocolate. It was wrapped all pretty, and I am sure my eyes were never bigger. I couldn’t wait to eat some and see what toy I would get. Chef told me, that when he was younger, he would always break the eggs open with his forehead. So, I gave it a shot, nothing. So I gave it one more good whack, still nothing. So I made chef do it, he has a dome built for breaking things, and low and behold, crack! Half the egg in pieces and the other half in good shape. My prize inside, a toy race car! Jasmine instantly started playing with it. What a joy a little toy and some chocolate can bring to any group. Of course, we all pigged out on chocolate the rest of the night. Yes mom, I snagged some for our travels too, no worries.


We had 10 folks for a la carte, so it was good to be a bit active on my last day on the hot line. The end of the evening brought a final birra for us all. That damn Carlo made me tear up too. Gesh, I will miss him the most. Jasmine yelled at me to stop the tears, to I obliged, until Carlo presented me with an amazing Umbria cookbook that had both the Italian and English version of recipes. What an amazing take away for this experience. Basta with the crying though. After we closed, it was time to hit up the town one last night.


Chef, Jasmine, all the interns, and myself headed to VinCafe where we indulged in a very large bottle of vino. I discussed my future plans or lack there of with chef. I related the Milan train story to him, which he in turn got a kick out of. All in all, it was a really nice time. We interns headed to Bar Durmo for a final cocktail to wrap up the evening. Thanks to my Mama de Zuccahro (sugar mama) Angela for the tasty mojitos. We met up with Drews friend Vitale at the bar. He might just be my perfect ‘Italian’ man. I put the quotes around Italian because he has only lived her for 13 years, he is originally from Russia.


Drew knew him from when he was in Orvieto for his study abroad, and I just think that Vitale is a dream boat. He is fine! It could be due in part to his lack of hair and the receding hairline, not sure why I have a soft spot for that, but I do. Vitale is working on his english, so Angela and I taught him the meaning of Sugar Daddy. It was actually pretty funny. He thought that Angela was calling him that, and he was a bit shocked, but we made it clear, that that was not what we were saying. A couple of American men behind us helped tell him the meaning as well.


Angela, Vitale, and I then played WII Buck Hunter at the bar. It was pretty fun, but rather difficult to kill those ducks. I will need to brush up on my skills when I am back in the states. It was 2am when Angela headed home, but Vitale, and the 2 other Americans and I shut down the bar, well pass 2:30 am. Yes reader, you are still correct in knowing that I have not completed packing yet. A Domani.


Vitale and I went back to his place and watched a movie called Rec, very similar to the movie Quarantine. However, what was funny, was that he is Russian, I am American, the movie was in Spanish, and we were in the middle of Italy. What a cultural blend, yet we still were able to understand one another. What a wild world!


I headed home around 4:30 am, so I hit the pillow, with packing on the to do list, first thing in the morning. Fine reader, it will be fine, the Olst clan works best under pressure, so it will all be completed in due time. Fingers crossed!!!


It’s too bad I found my ‘Italian’ man on my last day, especially considering he was in front of me the whole time. Ah well, maybe next time.



Language Lesson

Forsa - Maybe

Addesso - Now

Pungo - Punch

Cabido - I know

Pensar - To think


No comments:

Post a Comment