Monday, March 21, 2011

Day 87 - Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen...


Saturday started early with an 8:30 am start, Carlo had given me the key, incase the cleaning man would not be there today. But, Adriano was still there, but it still felt good to have the key responsibility. The tour group leader literally had called at 10 pm the night before to make changes to the menu, so we had a few extra last minute prep items to bust out first thing. We had most everything prepped, and then Frankie, Carlo, and I headed to meet the group of 37. I find that there are always a few folks that I connect with in these tour groups. Wether it be a foodie fanatic, another blogger, or a travel bug. I really enjoy getting to meet and converse with these lovely folks.


Today I met Anne Leigh from Virginia. She was traveling with her mother, which I love and then after mentioning where they were from, of course I jump in with:


“There is a farm that I want to work at in Virgina.”

“Which one?” They ask.

“Polyface farms in Virginia, Joel Salatin’s farm.”

“We buy our eggs from him.”


I literally almost lost it. I was so jealous that they lived so close that they could snag his product so easily. If the name Polyface or Joel Salatin is new to you; check out the movie Food Inc., the book Omnivores Dilemma, or www.polyfacefarms.com. They provide pasture fed products to many in Virginia and nearby DC. Their farming practices and food beliefs are what sets them apart from many other farms and food producers. Anyway, back on topic, these two ladies were a treat to meet.


After coffee and pastries at the restaurant, it was off to the market again. Angela was able to come this time as well, which was great to have her there. She is a trip and makes me laugh constantly. What a nice addition to the front of house and to the roommates too. We finished at the market with artichokes in hand since we would be frying them for the groups antipasti. The demo went well, we ran a little long, but it was fine in the end. Not only did we have the group, but a la carte was also blowing up. We were very busy which was nice.


After a short siesta, it was time to head back to the ‘office‘ for dinner service. We had a bit of prep to do for the upcoming week and groups coming in. We had 8 turkey legs to debone. I am not talking about any small turkey legs either. These suckers put Renaissance Festival turkey legs to shame! Initially, it is just like deboning a chicken thigh and leg, but once you reach the end of the leg, where the foot would be, there are all these tendons and cartilage. It is very difficult to get the them all out, mainly because there are so many of them. Either way, it was nice to learn and work with these giant legs. Ha!


The end of the evening brought some whiskey and coke and some interesting thoughts on options to stay in Italy for a while longer. Not sure of the plan or if I stay or go, but the next few days will tell for sure, considering I only have a week to go. I was also able to skype with my mom and my Aunt Mary. They had been working on my moms computer to fish out a few last minute issues. It was great to chat with them and see them both, technology is a lovely thing. Aunt Mary, make sure you turn up the volume next time! Hehehe! Miss you!


Have yourself a tasty whiskey and coke! And have one for me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment