Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 16 - So Slow...But that’s all right


Friends!

Can you believe it? Off dish pit today, finally! 2 weeks can really seem like an eternity when you only get to pick up a knife once in a while. My hands were dish pan for sure and I started to get this strange heat rash on my forearms from being in the hot water all the time. However, I did get to see all the items plated, so that will help when I move to hot line. First day on salads/desserts was slow. I think I made 1 salad and 2 desserts all day. Not saying much, since we were very slow to begin with. I know that folks eat late here, but it was 8:45 last night before we had our first customers, we close around 9:15 usually. Hopefully tomorrow lunch will be a little more busy.


We also had the 2 ‘students’ in the restaurant today too. Two lovely ladies from Chicago on an 8 day culinary excursion of Italy. They were in first thing in the morning, making bread, pizza, roast chicken, and dessert. Then in the afternoon, they were headed to a winery and olive oil farm. They will be in the kitchen every morning, so it is a bit to work around them, but fun to watch it all go down.


So I know I have mentioned a bit, but I will explain the usual day here in Italy. Most shops are open from 8 or 9 in the morning until around 2 or 3 pm. From here everything closes for siesta and reopens around 5 pm or so. Then the stores are open till 8 or 9 usually. Now for a restaurant like Zeppelin, we start at 9:30 or 10 am. We open around 12 or a little later. Our rush usually comes around 1 pm or a little later, we usually leave for siesta around 3:30 or so. Then return at 6 pm for dinner service. We open around 7 and close just after 9 depending on when people stop coming in. They eat late here, so normally 8 pm is rush if not a little later.


Currently our siesta is filled with wandering and wifi. Missing you all!

Nikki

1 comment:

  1. Olive oil farm sounds interesting. Hopefully you can check it out too.

    ReplyDelete