Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 26 - Day off in Perugia - Part 2 - Shopping and Eating






Even though all the guidebooks told me to get a quick meal and eat it on the steps of the piazza, I decided to dine at Ristorante Victoria, overlooking the piazza.


A small, quaint place that probably seats about 35 total people. First up, Salumi Umbria with Mustard Fruit, yup, another delicious cured meat plate, so good!!! The bresaola was divine and the prosciutto was almost more sweat than salty, my favorite item on the plate. Not having mustard fruit before, I was excited to try this item. It looked like a can of fruit cocktail was opened and cooked down a little to thicken the sauce consistancy. However the taste, very pungent with mustard and almost a bit spicy. Paired will with some bread and a slice of cappicola or bresaola. After all the tasty bits were gone, on came the Spaghetti Carbonara. This has been my favorite dish since bein in Italy, so I decided to stick with it. The seasoning was spot on, but the sauce could have been a little thicker. The one bad bit was that in some of the slices of meat in the dish (we use guanciale, others use prosciutto) there was a little bitty bone chunk in them. Not so nice on my teeth the first time it happened. So I picked around them. I was going to order a secondi, but I decided I wanted dolci instead. Even thought the Omelette de Tartufo (Truffle Omelette was clearly calling my name) I went for a cappuccino and the ciocolate salami instead. Whoa was this thing damn good! Like a fudge consistency, with bits of hazelnut in it to look like salami. Rich, yet I was able to finish 2 pieces. The house wine with the meal was tasty too.


With only an hour and half before my train home, I decided to walk back to the bus stop and peruse some shops too. Yeah! New Italian Coat! I know that everyone here wears puffy down coats, but I just don’t work well in those, so I found a coat that is lovely and wool and on saldi! The picture to the right does not do it justice, the collar actually can unfold into a hood, very cool. I also bought a little present for Melaine! I am going to need to buy another suitcase for all the presents alone I think.


On Bob’s suggestion, I also bought some chocolate, as Perugia is known for this. And in the land of carbs, I found chocolate pasta! I can’t wait to make a sauce of brown butter, pistachio, and chocolate shavings to go with this. I did purchase some little bites too, but I have been a good kid and not eaten them yet. I also went to a bakery today, Stranacha, purchased a delectable little item called a strochelia. MMMMMM, tasty! Like a big fluffy donut.


Miss and Love you all!

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment