Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 17 - Ummm, Chef....There is a Fire!


Saturday, 1-9-11


So, we started the day today with the two students making Porchetta. This is an Italian dish which is pork belly stuffed with par-cooked liver. From here, it is trussed and then roasted till cooked and tasty. This is usually a street food or sort of type in Italy. As they were doing this plus making pasta and ciabatta, we were prepping for the day. I began to make family meal for us, a very nice pasta primavera full of fresh veggies and a light sauce of olive oil, white wine, and a little parm. Just before dropping pasta, Chef Kim told the boys to check on the porchetta. As in doing so, black smoke started to come out the back of the stove, Franchesco opened the door, and out came flames. And no, I am not talking about just a little fire, I am talking large, engulfing flames. I think what happened is that the pan that was in the bottom of the oven to catch the grease from the pork belly over ran onto the pilot, thus catching the stove, porchetta, and all on fire.


After we called chef, he thought we were kidding, (he singed some hairs on his arm off) we shut the gas of. Carlo and Lorenzo grabbed the extinguisher and slowly opened the door, spraying everytime, however it kept catching on fire. Once the pan was on the ground, on fire, the extinguisher was put to good use and the fire was squelched. The porchetta was charred black and burned; in the trash it went, sad, sad sight. Everyone came out mostly unscathed, so that was good, but the poor pork. From here, I moved to the outside kitchen to finish family meal while the boys cleaned the mess up.


We had a late rush of people and did not get out until 4 pm tonight, which is a bit late. I skyped with mama Olst, which was great. I talked with Colleen, and even though I was a bit of a baby on the phone, she talked some sense into me and is right about most things all the time, I love having reasonable and smart friends for the moments when I am loosing my mind. I also was able to see the Bayley’s today too!!! Those mugs were so good to see, even though that Karen is really tan right now from Florida. Miss you!!!


Went to dinner with roomies, chef, his girlfriend Kim, and the two students. Had another pizza with an egg, this one was better because of the runny yolk. Also got in on a tasty meat plate too. However, the desserts at Buca Di Bacchio were not good!!!! I ended up getting gelati on the walk home, chocolate this time. Headed to a cute place called Vin Cafe for a wine nightcap and then home. Going to sleep in a little tomorrow then off to explore Orvieto. Many pictures to come.


Ciao Ciao,

Nicole

4 comments:

  1. What a great experience! Sounds funny, I know! A great story to share during the duration of your career!

    Love a pie with a runny yolk!!

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chef Kennedy, It was really funny, now and when it was happening. I know it was a big deal because the whole oven was on fire, but it was pretty interesting to see 4 grown men trying to put out the flaming pig belly. I will post a pic of the pie with a yolk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course there is a fire when it's pork belly. Thought of you lots today! Skype date Thursday for your siesta or a little later? I don't have to work and would be willing to wake up early for you. Can't make and promises about doing my hair, though :). Let me knooow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moe,
    It was wild! But it was dealt with, with as much grace as 4 grown men can muster.

    ReplyDelete