Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 34 - Part 2 - Afternoon












After lunch, I decided to head towards the Durmo of Siena as there was quite a bit of history to see there. The walk over was shorter than I expected, Siena is a rather easy walking town. I stumbled upon the Baptistry first and stood in awe of the building height, color, and figures. Up the stairs I went to purchase a ticket to all 4 of the sights to see for 10 euro. Into the Museo first, which seems unassuming. Through the entrance and around the corner and BAM, the most beautiful Circle stained glass picturing the Madonnas assumption smacks you in the face. It took my breath away. It is surrounded by sculptures that had adorned the Durmo at some point in their long lives. It was so sound and quiet and lovely. It is not to be missed when you come to visit. At the little gift shop I purchased a few great little gifts (Melaine and Kristin) and I purchased the little calendar of all these vintage food drawings. I was going to go to the top of the tower next to get great shots of the city, but it was closed, bummer.


Then off to the Cathedral I went. Rounding the corner and the facade of the church stops you in your tracks 3 large entry ways. Using my multi-ticket, in I went and the enormity of the church swallows you up. This church is adorned with frescos from Donatello, sculptures from Pisaro, and so many wonderful marble structures. This place is so beautiful, that that describing word does it no justice. The pulpit is a story high, over looking the pews and the large alter.


Again, I had the opportunity to light a candle, but this time I lit three. One for Uncle Pat, now that his soul is at peace. One for dear Aunt Virginia for all of her continuous love of family. And of course, one for Thomas Olst in honor of his enormous personality that would swallow you up, just like this church. To the ones we love and the ones we have lost and the ones that are still with us; Life is so short, do not let a moment pass you by.


I headed back to the baptistry to wrap up the tour, but missed the final tour by 2 minutes. I headed back up towards the start of my trip, of course, stopping here and there to peruse. I found myself starring into a display window of nothing but prosciutto legs and curing salumi. Round the bend and found it was a little market. I went in and spent a bit of time and money looking around. In a previous photo you saw it, NesQuick! Chocolate Milk, I can’t wait. I also bought a traditional Sienese dense cake, some guancile for carbonara, and of course some fresh milk for the train ride home. I hit up the internet place on the way back and was able to talk with my sister, send some emails, post some blogs, call the DMV, call the Bank, and made a few more calls. It was a productive hour.


After figuring out the bus situation, back down to the train stop to catch my 7:27 train back to Orvieto. I slept for the first half, which was well deserved. The second leg, I blogged and had milk and cookies. Once in Orvieto, I walked home to the tune of Singing in the Rain, which was poignant, since it was raining in Orvieto.


Another great day trip and another well deserved day off.


Thanks for reading the long posts and checking out all the photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment