Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 34 - Siena - Part 1 - Morning












On the 8:10 train to Siena via a stop in Chiuai-Chianciano Terrne. I arrived in Siena at 10:36 am, found my way to the right bus to take me up to the city center and was in the plaza by 10:45. Thanks to my dear friends and family for the guidebooks, I would be lost without these items. Right near the bus area was a large market, I perused a little, but had not wanted to lose track of my bearings. I walked past the internet shop so that I could swing in later to make some calls (Yes mom, I called the DMV). From here I back tracked pass the busses and found myself careening into my favorite city in Italy yet. I am not exactly sure how it happened, but it did, this place is unreal. I window shopped, popped in and out of a few shops, peeked into restaurants, and saw so many amazing statues, buildings, and doorways.


My first stop was at a leather shop, guess who got a new bag? I did! It is lovely leather made in Tuscany and it was on sale!!! Don’t worry, there is a picture attached along with my other treats from the trip. From here I ventured into a delightful patisserie bar. I only stopped because they had bombolincini in the window. Thanks to Fuel for teaching me to make them, I can’t get enough of these little doughnuts here in Italy. The one in the picture was filled with pastry cream, yummy! This was the great start to the day ahead, two doughnuts and a sugary cappuccino.


After this, I kept on my merry way, heading straight for the Palazzo Palio (the town hall). This is also where the main fountain and openspace in Siena is. As I wandered down a steep narrow stairway, it opened unto me. It was a sight and feeling that I had never experienced before. The open ‘courtyard’ onto the bell tower and large building. I took a seat at the base of the fountain and soaked it all in. The sun was finally shining after a week of gray, there were all sorts of people about; students from England and America, Italians, and a group of American folks on a tour. I ended up taking some photos for the last group, a few from Denver, so it was nice to talk to the bunch. In my books I read of two little restaurants around the bend from the tower, so at 1ish, I headed over there. The first one, Osteria La Lugga, is closed until February. The second, Il Pizza De Papa, also closed till Feb. So back to where I started.


I ended up choosing Di Polio, I’m sure a tourist trap, but the outdoor seating was calling my name. I sat in the sun and ordered away. First up, the meat and crostini plate. The salumi was great, but the prosciutto was a bit off. The tomato crostini was divine and had a spicy bit of pepper in it. The liver pate one left a bit to be desired. The red wine paired nicely though. Next up, porcini risotto, perfectly cooked and quite tasty. For dessert, I ordered the Ciccolate Caldo al Peperocini. A hot chocolate as thick as warm pudding with a nice hint of hot pepper spice. I paired it with a few little cookies that I purchased at a fancy patisserie. It was such a treat.

Thank you sun, food, view, and the sound of Siena for a lovely morning.


1 comment:

  1. Great post; your writing took me straight to the courtyard!

    ReplyDelete